I’m not sure if you’re the same way, but the only times I enjoy cold weather are when there is fresh, powdery snow on the ground and during the holidays. It’s just not Christmas unless I’m bundled up in a scarf and puffy coat and boots. Since cold temperatures aren’t really my thing, these spring-like days we’re experiencing in Simpsonville are putting a little extra pep in my step! My mind has already gone to outdoor activities, blooming flowers and lazing by the pool. I love being outside on sunny days, and that’s a great thing because the sun helps us to absorb vitamin D. You probably knew that, but did you know that vitamin D can also aid in keeping your teeth and gums healthy?
Vitamin D helps us to absorb calcium and phosphate, which are two of the major substances found in the enamel of our teeth. When our enamel is strong, our teeth are able to fight off cavities and bacteria more effectively. Vitamin D also helps to keep our gums from getting inflamed.
Here’s what The Vitamin D Council has to say:
Vitamin D receptors are found on cells in your immune system and in your teeth. Vitamin D can bind to these receptors and increase the amount of good antimicrobial proteins in your body which help to fight the bacteria that cause dental caries. In addition, the cells in the teeth that form dentin and enamel contain vitamin D receptors, meaning that vitamin D may play a role in their functioning.
Keeping your teeth and gums in good shape is particularly important while you have braces. So, what activities can we all do to soak in that sunshine? See if you’re interested in any of these!
- Ride bikes – Hop on your bike and ride around your neighborhood. Or better yet, hop on the Swamp Rabbit Trail in Greenville for a fun, scenic experience.
- Visit the waterpark or the park – Simpsonville has a great waterpark, so gather some friends and spend the day splashing around!
- Read a book outside – Pack a book or your Kindle and relax in the sunshine while you delve into a good story.
- Attend an outdoor concert – See your favorite artist or discover a new one at an outdoor concert.
- Take a stroll through downtown – Greenville is one of the most beautiful cities around. Enjoy all it has to offer by spending some time meandering downtown.
- Go swimming – Cool off on hot days in your neighborhood pool.
- Go on a picnic – Pack a few sandwiches and bring along friends or family members for a fun lunch outdoors.
- Visit the zoo – See an assortment of exotic animals at our zoo
- Play sports – Pick your favorite athletic activity and join a team or practice on your own!
In addition to dental health for our patients with braces, getting outside and being active is a great practice for everyone and can lead to many health benefits that go beyond our teeth. Here at Marshall Orthodontics, we hope that you have a fun-filled spring and enjoy all that our area has to offer in the great outdoors!